Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Stupid Question? Painting over plastic?

Old 11-09-07, 12:37 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just recently remodeled my bathroom to about 50% of the way now, the sheetrock is up and the mud is sanded with very few bumps or bruises. The outside and inside corners look better than pro and I even made two little pocket alcoves with recessed lighting for decorative items or even hand towels.

The first question/issue I am having is well, outside corners. Is my latex paint after a good primer going to stick to these outside corners? I used plastic outside corners and drywall nailed them every 6 inches on BOTH sides . I know that whenever I get to much paint on my paint caddy and accidently let it dry, I can just peel it right off of the plastic. I see finished houses and drywall with metal corner molding and can see the metal ends, I assume they just prime over it and then paint - but how does it stand up? I could have smeared some mud down along the edge but can't imagine how I would make it look like a nice outside corner without some seriously stressful and meticulous sanding?

The second problem I am having and am dealing with:
Sticky joint tape. It sucks. Not fiberglass but a joint tape that has holes all through it that you peel and stick then mud. Figured it would save me a step and before I even went to paint, I noticed hairline cracks on the walls where I couldn't as many nails as I would like as it's a horizontal and thus the distance between the studs is causing this along with this junky tape. So I sanded it down. Put little pieces of fiberglass tape in every 2 or 3 inches...mudded it , then wet my NORMAL joint tape, and smoothed it over, then mudded over. Looks great now. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with this stuff? I also notice that the mud bubbles out of holes and is visible unless you mud heavy and sand to smooth, plus you have to feather out a bit more.

Sorry for the novel there.

Old 11-09-07, 12:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I assume what you are concerned about on the outside corners is the little bit of corner bead that shows - paint should stick well, actually a little better than the j/c. it is a common problem for paint to chip off of the corner bead when hit.

Mesh tape is basically a good idea that just didn't pan out. Paper tape always does a better job. About the only time a pro will use sticky tape is on a repair where time is critical and using hot mud over the tape. Setting compounds like durabond help to avoid the problems associated with sticky tape.

Old 11-09-07, 12:55 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wow thanks for the quick reply. I'm waiting for a few patches to dry so I can sand and prime and get this project done before xmas. I still have the flooring, crown molding, toilet & vanity to put in and of course the accessories.

Glad to know, I researched and couldn't find anything. Talked to a guy at the big orange home imp store and they said to just run my tool out far enough to leave a layer of spackle...

:l

As for anyone dinging the corner, that wont be a problem as I will have a lock and key on this bathroom. I'm thinking of just never using it and leaving it as a museum.
After 3 bathrooms, I can't wait to finish the rest of the house. Bathrooms and kitchens take forever with all of the little stuff you have to do. I also basically had to remove half of the studs and replace them with STRAIGHT pieces. The doorways from one segment to another were so far off it looked like a drunk framed this bathroom.

Satisfaction level is kicking in, but now because of the size of mirror and med cabinet I built for it, I had to go with recessed lighting. I only have two over the vanity and it's a bit dark now. Not to mention, I am painting that wall with dark chocolate and the rest of the bathroom chocolate. Looks good with the granite top and the stainless fixtures etc. But I think I may have to put something else in that might look like an afterthought DOH At least I have access to the attic above to do this though.

Anyway thanks. I appreciate the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: