Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Need to install Ridge support Beam to make a cathedral ceiling.

Need to install Ridge support Beam to make a cathedral ceiling.

Old 12-31-07, 01:37 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need to install Ridge support Beam to make a cathedral ceiling.

I would like to install a ridge support beam. The roof is an An A frame style. the back half slopes from 3ft above the second story ceiling in the center toward the rear of the house and rests on the second story walls. The front half slopes from 3ft above the second story ceiling and slopes all the way down to the first story walls. The overall depth of the house is 24ft. So far i calculated i need a beam that can hold 360lbs per ft. Not really sure if that is correct. I live near philadelphia pa there isnt alot of snow. not much lately at all. I would like the smallest beam height as possible. Please let me know if you need anymore info. Steel or wood is fine.
-There is no cross bracing in the attic its wide open.
-I have a shingled roof.
-The overall depth of the house is 24ft.
-The rafters are 2x6 and placed on 24inch centers

Old 01-01-08, 06:06 AM
I
Because of safety and local codes you should get a building engineer to do the calculations for a supporting beam. Most
permitting departments will not except anything less.

Old 01-01-08, 04:16 PM
S
In backing up the previous post suggesting professional assistance, unless you're completely free from permitting and inspection oversight, you will most likely need drawings to submit for your permit. In our area we may submit our own drawings on many smaller jobs, saving the cost of paying an architect/engineer etc., but they must still provide the same detail and accuracy with respect to code. You can't just write "as per code" in the corner of a sketch and be done with it! Regardless of the permit requirements, the alteration you are talking about is a significant one and will require careful and informed consideration by professionals. For instance, I would be willing to guess that your 2d floor ceiling joists are also acting as rafter/collar ties and that their removal, without adequate design additions, would be a serious faux pas. You should really get an experienced builder, framer, or architect etc to take a look at your situation. Maybe you could use a wall in place of a beam. If you do use the beam you'll need to transfer the load to an adequate footing, and, it will most likely be a bear to get up in there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: