How to build a wall...

Old 01-15-08, 02:05 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to build a wall...

Hello, looking to finish basement and want to put a wall in between two sides. There is a beam that runs the length of the house and it obviously has posts supporting it.
How do I build a frame that will be safe, sturdy, up to code, and in which I will be able to drywall? It would be apprx. 7 feet high by 16 feet long. Also, how would I be able to mount the structure to the cement floor? Drilling, and using screws or nail gun?

Any websites in which I can look at some diagrams, etc.

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-08, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Will your wall be surrounding the existing supports along the beam? Fastening the bottom pressure treated plate can be done either with powder actuated gun or with Concrete nails, or with Tapcons (blue screws).

Old 01-15-08, 06:44 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes it would be surrounding the posts, so there would be two walls/sides in effect but one wall when it is completed.

Old 01-16-08, 05:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Using the existing columns, snap a chalk line across the floor and ceiling joists to make sure the posts don't interfere with a straight line, thenstretch out your header and attach it to the floor joists above, and attach the bottom plate to the concrete in the same manner. Hopefully the posts are in some similance of straightness with each other. From that point, install your two side studs and beginning from either end, space them at 16" oc (14 1/2" between them). This will give a good surface for you sheetrock. You can insulate if you wish for sound deadening purposes, placing the kraft side of the paper toward the living space. IF your posts are out of line with each other slightly, you can always go to a 2x6 wall, and allow for the variance as you build it..

Old 01-28-08, 07:21 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Couple of tips from my first experience - you can use the powdered gun as mentioned, just ask for a ram set at the hardware store. I had one spot where the top of the post was sticking out and was going to interfere with the drywall. Two ways to go about that - decide if you want to be able to access the post. If so, leave a cut out and get a cabinet door. In my case, I cut a hole, taped over it and sanded smooth. Cannot tell there was a 1ftx1ft chunk that was cut out.