how to remove nails?

Old 01-18-08, 06:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to remove nails?

Hi all!!
I am usually found hanging around in the small engine department here. Some good knowledgable people there. I hope some one here can give me a suggestion.
I am removing an interior wall in a shop I have just rented. Landlord said go for it. It is a non-load bearing wall that was put up to divide the office. And it was done by amatures who watch a couple shows of "This Ole House" which made them pros...LOL. I removed all the sheet rock which was a pain as they just screwed AND nailed it randomly.
Now I am trying to remove the studs and want to save them for use on another project. My problem is these guys toe-nailed the nails and drove the heads about 1/8" deep into the studs. I do have a nail puller bar (if that is what its called).
But I have to drive it deep into the stud to get under the nail head to remove the nail. When I do this, I have ended up splitting the wood as the nails are near the edges & ends.
The nails in the center are just as deep and I end up "chiseling" a hole there, too.
Any other better way to remove the nails?
Thanks.
Jerry

Old 01-18-08, 06:33 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Salvaging studs

Jerry, the best way I've found to save the stud and least damage is if you own a reciprocating saw (sawzall), you can cut in the joint inbetween the stud and the sill & and the stud and the header. You will only lose possibly the blade widths worth of stock, about 1/16th of an inch. They make demolition blades that cut both wood and steel like butter, and are available up to 12in. long. Hope this helps.Andy.

Old 01-18-08, 09:05 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Studs are pretty cheap. Unless there's a whole lot of them, I think I'd just knock them out with a sledge and be done with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: