Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

correcting an out of plumnb wall for tiling

Old 01-22-08, 02:19 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am tiling 2 walls around the bathtub. I've put 1/2 in. wonderboard on and, because I was rushing to get things done, only now see that the shower-head wall is out-of-plumb. It is an 8 ft wall and it drifts about 1 inch over a 6 ft span of the wall. The wonderboard is already attached under the board on the perpendicular wall, so to remove and shim would require me removing all the other sheetrock. To make matters worse, I started tiling some of the long wall (using mosaics).

Question: how can I correct this? The showerhead wall drifts back...can I build it up and feather it to plumb, and what should I use?

Any help or suggestions...I would appreciate any!

Cheers...mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-08, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Just because the wall is fitted behind the adjacent wall, you can remove it, either by unscrewing and unwedging it or breaking it out. There is only one way to do it right, and 1" out of plumb ain't it. Once it is removed, find out why it won't lay flat and correct the framing, reinstalling new cbu on the wall to attach your tile.

Old 01-22-08, 05:06 PM
M
thanks for the welcome.

I know what you are saying. It is my first time tiling and I probably didn't accurately present it how it is. The shower-head wall is plumb from the tub base to 2 ft. up the wall. The gap is 1/4 in. off corner (as desired) and over the next 3 1/2 feet the gap widens to just under 11/16. I am estimating that with another 2 1/2 feet that gap will widen to 1 inch. Of course that is still only off plumb by 3/4 inch...which is still a bad scenario, I know.

Thanks for your response Chandler. I will probably break it out but I want to fully explore the idea of building and feathering up to plumb...tonight at least.

Old 01-22-08, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Wait a minute. I may have been thinking "plumb" when you meant "plumb". If you are standing in the tub facing the shower head is the wall leaning out to you (as I interpreted it), or is the cbu tilting to one side?

Old 01-23-08, 08:19 AM
T
Are we talking out of plumb or out of square? Out of square isn't a disaster - out of plumb will require a total rework.

Chandler - I'm beginning to worry about your eyesight///

Old 01-23-08, 12:50 PM
M
maybe I am confusing out of plumb and not square. The showerhead wall drifts away. It does not lean in. Actually the more I looked at it last night the more I realized that the wall is only off at the corner. It appears perfectly level and square at the the far edge, but 1/2 in off at the corner. With a level on the edge near the corner, the cbu is not level and leaning back.

Can I level off the area of that showerhead cbu that is not square or out-of-plumb?

It is definitely not leaning forward. I guess I took "plumb" to mean "square".

cheers

Old 01-23-08, 12:58 PM
T
Refer back to Chandler's first post.

I don't know how much tile has been laid - but that out of plumb CBU needs to be straightened. If the bottom half of the sheet is good (so to speak) - can you cut off the top half, shim it/correct it properly - and tape/thinset the two pieces back together.

If you're off a half inch or so over 6 feet - it's going to look like it once the tile is in - and you're gonna hear it from momma until you tear it apart and redo it - not to mention the lost contracts when you decide to sell...