Pop corn texture removal

Old 01-31-08, 05:31 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pop corn texture removal

I was wondering if I could scrape the pop corn texture off my walls, then retexture it with the knockoff or splatted type? I also have a 4'x4' area on a ceiling that has had water seperate the texture from the drywall, I knocked it off to bare wall board and now the thickness is uneven; I was wondering how I could fix and match the texture. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-01-08, 06:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Unpainted popcorn is fairly easy to remove - just get it wet and scrape. A pump up garden sprayer works best for getting the texture wet. If the popcorn has been painted, it is a bit harder to do - it's best to scrape first and then wet so the water can get under the texture.

To get the best job you would want to skim coat the ceiling before retexturing. You atleast need to repair any damage caused by the texture removal.

I'm not sure what you are asking in regards to the 4x4 area are you just wanting to retexture that area? is it popcorn?

Old 02-01-08, 08:06 AM
C
Received 132 Votes on 106 Posts
one tip for scraping your ceiling - round off the corners of your scraper (I use a 6" DW knife) just a bit. You'll get fewer gouges that way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: