Wood siding too close to ground

Old 02-15-08, 05:40 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood siding too close to ground

We had a home inspection done on our potential new house and the inspector noted that the addition on the back of the home has the wood siding all the way down to the ground and has been soaking up water and causing water damage to the boards and potentially the structure on the inside. The inspector suggested to cut away the boards lay a new block foundation on the bottom and replace the insides. He estimated around 5-10K to fix.

That being said we had a contractor come and give us an estimate to fix and he said that all we needed to do was cut away the water damage siding, but in a water resistant pvc siding at the bottom foot or so to prevent it from wicking the water up. He didn't think there would be any damage on the inside. He estimated 1500 to fix.

With us being 600 miles away trying to figure out what is going on it is hard as they seem to describe opposite ends of the spectrum.

Here is a picture of the addition.

Any help is appreciated

Old 02-15-08, 05:57 AM
T
I think the bigger problem with leaving the siding all the way to the ground is that you'll never see if any bugs (i.e., termites) are climbing up and into the house. I had a friend whose house was aluminum sided all the way to the ground. After a huge hail storm, his insurance was paying for new siding... and guess what they found after removing the old stuff. If he had had even a foot of foundation showing, it would have been easy to see the termite tunnels from the outside.

This is one case that I'd go with the home inspectors recomendation and as Mike Holmes always says..."do it right!"

Good luck,
Tom

Old 02-15-08, 06:09 AM
K
Here is an image. You can see the bottom horizontal board hiding existing damage.

Old 02-15-08, 09:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree with Tom. Unless you can lower the grade, you need to raise the masonary.

Old 02-16-08, 04:39 AM
I
The siding looks like T111. I have had the same issues on a storage building. I replaced the bottom 18 inches with a cement board siding using a z strip as a flashing. Making sure the water and moisture runs away from the building is important. I dug out along the building and installed gravel also to help keep water from standing. That was about 5 years ago and have not had a problem since.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: