Ceiling water damage...crack

Old 03-04-08, 09:36 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Ceiling water damage...crack

We recently purhcased a 20 year old mobile home, and the ceiling had quite a bit of water damage. It is a slanted ceiling, not flat. In the master bedroom there is a crack in the ceiling from the light fixture to the wall. Where it is closer to the wall the ceiling is kind of falling in...the whole section along the crack is bowed in. I need to know what my options are in fixing this, preferrably without getting a professional. There is also a hole in the bathroom ceiling from water damage. Please help.

Old 03-04-08, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've replaced a lot of ceilings on the older MHs with the flat ceiling/roof but have never opened up the ceiling on a MH with a vaulted ceiling. If the bedroom ceiling, if the ceiling isn't too far gone, you can reattach the ceiling to the framing with drywall screws, apply a solvent base stain killer primer over the stains and then repaint the ceiling.

I usually replkace the ceiling with drywall but on the older flat roof style MHs this requires beefing up the framing to support the load. I'm sure this can also be done on your MH but without knowing how it's framed, I can't advise you how

How big is the hole in the bath ceiling?

Old 03-04-08, 09:52 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom ceiling

Thanks for the info!

The bathroom hole is...about 13 in. by 5 inches.

Old 03-04-08, 09:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Ideally you would replace the entire bath ceiling but I suppose you could get by with just cutting out the hole evenly and installing a piece of drywall to fit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: