Spraying Texture

Old 03-12-08, 09:18 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spraying Texture

I am refinishing the upstairs of my house. I have about 3,000 square feet of drywall - walls and ceilings. I would like to spray a very light texture on the walls and ceilings. I'm thinking about a light orange peel. I can rent the hopper and compressor the the local rental, and I've spoken to a few people about thinning the mud out. Does anyone have any suggestions for how much water to add to a pail of blue mud to spray the texture? I'm assuming the smallest hole on the hopper will give me the lightest texture?

Thanks,

Brad

Old 03-12-08, 10:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The smaller the hole, the finer the texture. Thinner mud will also result in a finer texture than thicker mud.

As many times as I've thinned mud down for texture, I really don't know how much [quanity] water I add it does vary depending on what the desired result is. Thinning it down to a little thicker than paint consistency would be a good place for you to start. If feasable mix all your texture first, if not and you see you will run out, mix more before you start the last room - not in the middle of the room - easier to control a consistent look

Old 03-17-08, 12:06 PM
W
Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere on here about brushing the walls/ceilings down with a broom prior to texturing. Is that really adequate to get the texture to stick well?

Thanks,

Brad

Old 03-17-08, 04:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you want to remove all the sanding dust, it doesn't have to be perfect but you want 95% of the dust removed.
I usually use my push broom to sweep off the walls/ceilings - minus the handle for the walls

Old 03-18-08, 05:45 PM
W
Thanks Marksr for your help.

Thanks for answering my question about spraying on the other forum as well.

I rented the texture hopper gun and air compressor. It is a goldblatter model. I have it on the smallest hole size which is 7/32. It is leaving large-maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch spatters...I was hoping for much smaller like 1/8 inch spatters.

I have tried thinning the mud down further and further but to no avail. I do not see where to adjust the air pressure on the compressor. The guy at the rental shop said it should be fine.

Am I being unrealistic about my desires? Is it possible to take my thinned down mud and roll it on walls and ceilings? I am just looking to provide a texture about equivilent to a wall which has been rolled many many times.

Thanks,

Brad
-Currently frustrated.

Old 03-18-08, 05:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There should be a knob near where the hose attaches to the compressor. Probably an air gauge there also - that knob adjusts the pressure.

I also have a goldblatt hopper gun although mine is probably 25 yrs old. The smallest hole with thin mud should give the texture you desire. The mud will shrink and suck in some as it dries. Worst case scenario - you could lightly sand off some of the texture when dry.

Old 03-18-08, 06:28 PM
W
There is a gage and what I guess would maybe be a knob to adjust the pressure. The gage reads about 5 with the gun hooked up. But the gun is leaking air at that point. If I cover the tip the pressure goes up to maybe 15. Which way would I turn the regulator? Clockwise or counterclockwise to increase the pressure?

Thanks again.

Brad

Old 03-18-08, 06:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You would ask a hard question If I remember right clockwise reduces pressure and turning it out increases the pressure. The knob may need to be pushed in or pulled out before it will turn.

Depending on what I'm texturing, I usually set the air between 20 and 40 psi with 25-30 psi the norm.

Old 03-18-08, 06:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I started 2nd guessing myself so I opened up the shop and clockwise increases pressure

Must be past my bedtime and my brain is shutting down

Old 03-18-08, 07:09 PM
W
At what point do I measure the pressure? As the gun is spraying the texture? So that I get a 'live' reading? That would make the most sense to me. But I'm new to this.

Sorry to keep you up!

Thanks,

Brad

Old 03-19-08, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally you set the pressure before you pull the trigger. How bad is the air leak?

Old 03-19-08, 05:08 AM
W
I got up early this morning to see what is going on. I can only get 5 pounds of pressure unless I stick my finger over the hole on the end of the gun. If I do that I can regulate the pressure with the regulator. However, as soon as I take my finger off the hole in the end of the gun it drops back to 5 pounds. Is is safe to assume that this gun is leaking way too much air?

Thanks again...

Brad

Old 03-19-08, 05:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
What happens if you disconnect the gun?

I assume this set up has quick disconnect fittings - no air should escape thru the fittings.

Old 03-19-08, 06:00 AM
W
It is a quick connect coupler. When I disconnect the gun air flows freely out the end of the air hose. This seems odd as my set up for nail guns and such do not do this. Does the problem lie here?

Brad

Old 03-19-08, 06:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The coupler's bad. Sometimes you can move the connection in and out a few times to free it up. A little oil might help but don't use too much as you don't want oil mixed in with the texture - could cause paint/primer issues.

Old 03-19-08, 06:32 AM
W
Would the coupler being bad cause the air leaking through the tip of the gun?

I called the rental jobber, they open at 8:30am central time. He suggested bringing it back and he would look at it.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-19-08, 06:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't used my texture gun in almsot a year but it does seem like they might be the bleeder type - in other words, some air will pass thru the tip when it's plugged in to the air supply but it won't pick up any material until the trigger is pulled.

The coupler and the gun tip are separate. The hose shouldn't leak when the gun is disconnected. Bleeder type paint guns and texture guns are designed so they can also be used with the little tankless air compressors.

My main concern would be the fact that you only have 5 psi

Old 03-19-08, 09:00 AM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
I think you have an air issue.
Also the farther you pull the trigger the faster the mud flows and the coarser the texture. There might be a stop to keep the trigger from coming all the way back.
You have several variables
Orifice size
Mud consistency
Air pressure
Mud flow
also Air volume.

Experiment with all of these and you should get what you want.
If you are using the Godlblatt compressor with the sprayer there is a way to increase the pressure but I forget how it is.
The rental company should tell you that.

If you are using a tank compressor perhaps it does not have sufficient volume to keep up with the hopper.
You need in the neighborhood of 6 or more CFM to use the hopper.

More pressure does not mean more volume.

Old 03-19-08, 11:51 AM
W
The rental jobber gave me a refund and a 25 dollar credit for the future. They did not have a different gun. He suspects something inside the gun is not correct.

I went to a different rental jobber and they have a little bit different set up but basically the same. Came home fired it up and it worked just fine. I had the air at about 25 and then pulled the trigger about halfway back and I got what I wanted, just a mist on the wall, like lots of coats of paint with a roller.

Thanks again for all your help.

Brad

Old 03-19-08, 12:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to hear it worked out for you

Old 03-19-08, 02:35 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Thanks for checking in and letting us know how our advice worked. As always it was worth what it cost you.

Old 05-15-08, 06:49 PM
M
spray tex hopper gun

Does anyone have any experience with a Spray Tex Adjustable Texture Hopper Gun. You can also respond via email to msoltani50@gmail.com. I am desperate!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: