Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Opening half door up to full opening in load bearing wall

Old 03-19-08, 07:30 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of opening up a bonus room that is connected to the master bedroom to build in a walk in closet. There is currently a half door that the builder installed rather than a full opening so as to not have to finish the space. The builder put cut 2x4s where the header and the top and bottom plate go rather than build it as a single unit. I'm guessing it's so they could sell a finished bonus room if desired by the original owner. The wall is on the top floor of a townhome supporting the roof and joists in the attic.

My thought is to put 2 2x6s below the current 2x4 top plate. Ideally I would add a new set of jack studs to the current jack studs to make them the new king studs, but it might make the opening too narrow as it currently is only about 2'6". I would probably just have to nail them to the existing jack studs. The other alternative is to replace the top plate with 2 2x8s and cut them into the existing jack studs. Thoughts?

Old 03-19-08, 09:14 AM
V
That doesn't look like a load bearing wall to me. There's no header there. What makes you think it's a load bearing wall?

Old 03-19-08, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
RZS

Could you use something like this......

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/HH.asp

...To keep the width of the opening you want?

Just a thought.

Old 03-19-08, 09:55 AM
R
Gunguy that looks like a pretty good idea, it would save a lot of work

That is certainly a load bearing wall. I know you can't see behind the top plate very well, but there is a pair of 2x10s above there supporting the rafters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: