Removing Stippled Ceiling

Old 03-20-08, 11:30 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Stippled Ceiling

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Initially I came upon the site because I was researching what interior paint brand name to use (which I'm still not sure on).

My question for here is;
Can I remove a stippled ceiling myself? Or is it better to hire a professional to do this, and if so, is it expensive? The room is about 19x16.

Old 03-20-08, 12:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi Moochu and welcome to the DIY Forums.

Is your ceiling actually stippled (Drywall mud has been thinned and applied with rollers, stamped with a brush.)?

Or is it popcorn. (Little beads blown from a hopper?

Old 03-20-08, 12:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
.....also has the ceiling been painted?

You shouldn't need a pro - unless your scared of work and a big mess to clean up let us know what type of texture and we'll let you know the best/easiest way to get your ceiling slick.

Old 03-20-08, 12:47 PM
M
I don't know how it was actually applied, it's a brand new house and the builder's features stated "stippled ceilings". That's about all I know.
I don't think it's painted.. it's just white.

Is that enough info? Because I can ask my construction guy specific questions about the ceiling if needed (would need to know what to ask though).

I don't mind doing the work myself or the clean up. My hubby and I really wanted slick ceilings but it was too expensive to do it through the builder so we had to take the stippled ceilings.

Also we will put in pot lights, so I'm assuming it's best to do the smooth ceiling before we put any pot lights.

Originally Posted by connie
Hi Moochu and welcome to the DIY Forums.

Is your ceiling actually stippled (Drywall mud has been thinned and applied with rollers, stamped with a brush.)?

Or is it popcorn. (Little beads blown from a hopper?
Originally Posted by marksr
.....also has the ceiling been painted?

You shouldn't need a pro - unless your scared of work and a big mess to clean up let us know what type of texture and we'll let you know the best/easiest way to get your ceiling slick.

Old 03-20-08, 12:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It would really help to know what type of texture. Could you supply a pic using a free site like www.photobucket.com ? Popcorn and a stomp texture are the 2 most common unpainted ceiling textures.

Generally unpainted texture can be disolved with water and then scraped off. The reason a slick finish costs more than the texture is the drywall has to be finished better. After the texture is removed you will need to skim coat the ceiling to make it presentable enough for paint.

Old 03-20-08, 01:40 PM
M
I can take a photo of the ceiling and post it but that won't be until Monday. Also if applying water disolves it.. how is the water applied? With a damp or soaked cloth? Or maybe a sponge mop?

Finishing drywall is another thing I don't know anything about. What would be needed for that?

Thanks for all the replies everyone, so far this looks doable.

Old 03-20-08, 02:13 PM
V
I usually use a spray bottle on a mist setting to wet the ceiling, and then a plastic scraper to remove the texture.

Old 03-20-08, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A spray bottle works well, a pump up garden sprayer is quicker but you have to prepare for the extra moisture. While i use an old drywall knife to scrape, a plastic one might be more diy friendly. Basically the water softens the texture so you can scrape it off easier.

To repair any damage to the ceiling you will want a 6" broad knife, for skim coating a 10"-12" will help you cover more ground. A mud pan is very helpfull - you can carry a small amount of mud where you need it. The joint compound with the blue or purple lid [light weight] is the easiest to work with. Thinning it slightly with water and mixing it well will make it flow better. You will also want a sanding pole to dress up the ceiling prior to paint.

Old 03-20-08, 09:29 PM
M
Marksr, thank you for the details.
Okay.... I think I can remove the stipple, and maybe even do the "skim coat" part, and may even be able to use a sanding pole to clean up the ceiling (if they're not too expensive to get and not too difficult to use). However, this is all sounding quite overwhelming, especially since there are 2 rooms and a foyer to do.

Can anyone give me an estimate of what it would cost to get someone to finish the ceiling of a 19x16 size room? (after I remove the stipple). I may consider paying someone since I have a lot of painting to do and applying stain & lacquer to two staircases.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: