What causes drywall to buckle/bulge?

Old 04-16-08, 05:13 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What causes drywall to buckle/bulge?

I have 5 year old home and noticed when I was in the garage the other day that there is a section of drywall that seems to be bulging a bit and you can actually see where the seam is. If your rub your hand over the area you can actually feel a slight bulge in the wall. There is no cracking, but you can see a vertical lne on the wall. I thought maybe it was a seam that had come loose, but its actually really solid when pushed on. Could this be from warping framing, shrinking/expanding wood, settling? I just dont know if there is someone I need to call about it before I try to repair it. Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-16-08, 05:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The air in a garage is usually more humid than in the house and I suspect that is a contributing factor. Is the bulge at a stud or between studs? More than likely it isn't anything to be overly concerned about.

Old 04-16-08, 05:37 AM
M
Thanks for the quick reply. It seems the bulge is at a stud. We have an unfinished room next to the garage(drywall was put up a few months ago) and I notice this morning there is a similar bulge on a wall there and you can also see the drywall seam. I have a feeling you are probably right and humidity is probably a factor.

Old 04-16-08, 11:31 AM
Can you post a picture? This is on the wall right? Could be the stud is not aligned with the rest of the wall.

Old 04-17-08, 07:01 PM
M
Is it possible that this is merely a poorly/overly-mudded seam? I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who learned from (in)experience about applying too much and/or not sanding enough???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: