Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

(Advice) help needed. (Water Damaged Ceiling)

(Advice) help needed. (Water Damaged Ceiling)


Old 04-25-08, 10:22 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
(Advice) help needed. (Water Damaged Ceiling)

Hi all,
really hope you can help me with this one.
I am repairing waterdamage to my kitchen ceiling and will be pulling down the damaged plasterboard up there and replacing it with new.I'm really nervous about this job and could do with my nerves being settled please.
Could you run me through the correct proceedure to follow. The ceiling is going to be skimmed in finishing plaster to hopefully give a smooth finish.
Any help and advice will be gratefully received
Many thanks in advance
Old 04-25-08, 11:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,627
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have plaster up there now and the board you want to remove is what the plaster is skimmed onto? Who is doing the plaster job?
Old 04-25-08, 12:34 PM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,268
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The question above means - do you have drywall or plaster (big difference.... If you're not sure - tell us how old the house is for starters).... As it's water damage - I'm going to assume drywall as plaster can accept a lot of moisture before going bad....

But - before going in to mass detail - give us an answer and we'll move forward from there....
Old 04-25-08, 03:43 PM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,185
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Blue board, which is a drywall designed to accept plaster, is often called plaster board. I'm assuming that is what you have. In that case, replacing the plaster board is not much different than regular drywall.

When it comes to the plaster coat though, I think I would hire a pro. IMO, unlike skim coating with regular joint compound, applying plaster is a trade skill that requires a lot of practice.
Old 04-25-08, 06:33 PM
nagra4s's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 463
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unless this repair is corner to corner plaster repairs do not work. Drywall and Durabond is what i use for plaster repairs with great results.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: