Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How do I secure a half wall over 2x4 framed joist?

Old 09-10-08, 08:40 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I would like to build a half wall between kitchen and family room. The wall needs to be 8' long by 54" high. One end will be secured to existing wall, other end unattached.

I have researched securing to floor joists via lag bolts, but that won't work in this case.

The wall will be along the top of a 6" septdown and there is a floor joist running parallel underneath where I would like to build. Additionally, the floor joists are 2x4 "truss" like.

I was thinking of lag bolting through the bottom of new wall, sub-floor and top portion of joist running under the new wall using metal plates above and below.

I'm not sure if this will give the rather large half wall enough support from wobbling.

I don't think I can make this any more unclear . Any advise is appreciated.

Old 09-10-08, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Allow your framing member (doubled 2x4) to extend through the floor and attach it to your trusswork/joisting below using carriage bolts. Even if only one of the 2x4's will slip beside the joist, it is better than nothing and it will give you a cantilevered fulcrum for the wall to press against. Drill a small hole through the floor to see exactly where your vertical member will fall when you run it through the floor. That will allow you to custom build it if necessary.

Old 09-12-08, 12:28 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler-

I think I understand what you mean. I will have to chew on "cantilevered fulcrum " for a bit to figure that out. Excuse my ignorance. I spent 20 years in the Marine Corps and have no problem tackling any issue around the house. My primary concern with this project is that I don't weaken the integrity of the joist underneath.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 09-13-08, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Craig, you won't weaken the joist unless you cut it. Installing the post and carriage bolts will stabilize it all since you will be working in 2 planes rather than one (vertical and horizontal). You could even install perlins between the two adjacent joists if you wanted to keep them even more stable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: