Detached Garage wall material?

Old 10-27-08, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Detached Garage wall material?

I have divided a detached garage, the framing and doors are done but I am wondering what material should I use for the walls and ceiling, there is no heat and Sheetrock might mold or fall apart in there, we want to store things in a clean environment and also use the room to change for the pool in the summer, any advice would be very helpful Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-08, 01:33 AM
Why would you think the sheetrock would mold or fall apart? Is there a lot of snow blowing in there all the time or something? Is it not kept reasonably dry in there? Would a coat of paint be good enough? You could use Durock if not.

Old 10-28-08, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by cart0181 View Post
Why would you think the sheetrock would mold or fall apart? Is there a lot of snow blowing in there all the time or something? Is it not kept reasonably dry in there? Would a coat of paint be good enough? You could use Durock if not.
No, its really nice in there, I just resided the outside during the summer and installed a new garage door as well, the new room framing and door is 100% complete, I was just thinking that there is no heat at all and that plain sheet rock would not be able to take the cold also with the cold brings dampness right? I was just trying to get some advice on what someone has used for wall material in a unheated room, something like a cabin maybe etc Thanks

Old 10-28-08, 10:15 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'll tell you what I like for garage and workshops. It's expensive to start but I've found it works VERY well. Plywood! A regular 1/2" (or 5/8") ply on the walls, can be skimcoated and painted to look just like drywall (or textured if you prefer). You can also now hang anything you want anywhere you want and the holes are easily patched with wood putty. The ply will take a beating in a workshop environment (think putting the pool pole into a sheetrock wall, won't happen with plywood).

It's a hard sell, since it doubles the cost of the wall, but once people see it, they understand why it's worth it.

Old 10-28-08, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Are you are talking about a room within the garage, with it's own outside access? Even if it doesn't have it's own outside access, put plywood on the side to the garage (for the reasons mentioned), and drywall on the inside of the room.

Cold won't hurt drywall, and the humidity goes down when it gets cold.

It's moisture (think shower spray and bath humidity) and water intrusion (think leaky roof or windows) without the ability to dry out that hurts drywall.

Old 10-28-08, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Are you are talking about a room within the garage, with it's own outside access? Even if it doesn't have it's own outside access, put plywood on the side to the garage (for the reasons mentioned), and drywall on the inside of the room.

Cold won't hurt drywall, and the humidity goes down when it gets cold.

It's moisture (think shower spray and bath humidity) and water intrusion (think leaky roof or windows) without the ability to dry out that hurts drywall.
It is a detached garage 16x24 I divided it in half, one side for the lawn mower and tools etc and I want to finish the other half off nice like my house the new framed out room has two doors, one interior door leading to the unfinished side, and one exterior door leading to the outside by the pool. That's good to know because I would rather use 1/2 regular Sheetrock on the walls and ceiling anyway, but didn't think it would last in there, my doors where set for 1/2 as well, Thanks again Not clear about this one thing you said You think I should put plywood on before I install the Sheetrock where the unfinished meets the finished wall? I plan on doing something with that side of the unfinished wall as well, like peg board to hang tools and shelving etc would it be the same if I put the plywood on the unfinished side instead

Old 10-28-08, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
What's being suggested is to use plywood [or even osb] inplace of the drywall for the walls. It's more durable, you can hang stuff most anywhere and then use the drywall for the ceiling.

What I like is ply/osb on the bottom 4', peg board above it with everything else drywall. Moisture shouldn't hurt primed and painted drywall - it just doesn't weather beatin and bangin

Old 10-28-08, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, the garage side (tools, lawnmower etc) could be plywood at the bottom and pegboard above. You could just hang pegboard on the studs and leave the rest unfinished, but the ply looks better and will prevent damage to the drywall of the room.

Drywall on the inside of the room, assuming light storage and changing room use may look a bit nicer (and be much cheaper).