Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Soundproofing between floors - Not sure if this is the right forum...

Soundproofing between floors - Not sure if this is the right forum...

Old 11-08-08, 12:46 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Soundproofing between floors - Not sure if this is the right forum...

Not sure if this is the forum where I should be posting this question.

Question is about trying to deaden the noise between the upstairs and downstairs...

Older home, I live upstairs, other people live downstairs. Seems to be very little soundproofing between floors. My bedroom is above their living room. One of the steps we've taken to try and lessen the noise is because we have an oil furnace, we've closed off some air vents and stuffed them with blankets (which seems to help a bit) and use those oil-filled plug-in heaters for heat in those rooms.

But I can still hear voices and people walking around downstairs when I'm in my bedroom, which drives me crazy. I like dead quiet at night... Does my flooring really make any difference to what noises I hear from the downstairs?

I have parquet wood flooring in my bedroom, and the room is about 12 x 12'. Would it really make much difference if I bought an area rug (approx. 6x8) for my room? I really don't care for carpeting, but am wondering if it might be worth my while to put down a rug... Would it honestly help much, or would it be a waste of money...

Thanks for any input.

Old 11-08-08, 01:32 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Research tends to show that carpet and cushion tends to offer the most sound deadening. If you have hard surface flooring, then area rugs and padding/cushion beneath can deaden noise.

But, I believe that is the sound deadening that you would create. It will not protect you from noise from neighbors. There is no protection from noise from neighbors. It is especially difficult if you have neighbors above or below or beside you.

I live in a rental condo sandwiched between two neighbors. Neighbors on the left are great until I have a late night at the computer and they are banging the headboard at my left elbow. I've had three blondes on the right that have never lasted more than a couple months because of nonpayment of rent. I have experienced a variety of loud noises through late hours. I pray the next renter is an old lady like me or someone with an early bedtime.

One thing that is helpful is to have 'white' noise. Play soft music, radio, TV, or other to create a soft noise barrier. This way you create a satisfactory noise barrier. Downstairs noise tends to be blocked.

If you are looking for 'dead quiet,' you are likely out of luck. Depending on where you live, there are trains, planes, big trucks, etc. If living in a multi-unit, you will have noises.

It's a sacrifice that we have to make if living the lifestyle that we have to do on our budget. Thus, we learn to sacrifice what we desire. We play the stereo or TV on low to drown out the outside noise. Installing area rugs and cushion will probably do more to protect the downstairs neighbors from your footsteps than to block noise from downstairs.

Old 11-08-08, 08:23 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Marie, I have limited experience with neighbors living in the same building, but I do recall it was like one big family. The company I worked for had a huge anechoic chamber (sound proof room) and it was amazing the extent to which they had to go to eliminate outside sounds.
Everything you do will help, a little. But dead quiet will require a huge effort. All solid surfaces transmit sounds. Carpet will help. You could even create baffels for your heat ducts to allow the air to get through, but little sound, kind of like a muffler. To the extreme is a room within a room.
Good luck
Bud

Old 11-08-08, 06:16 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I really appreciate the replies!

I decided that yes, I will buy some kind of rug/carpet. Sounds like it certainly can't hurt.

Re white noise - I keep a fan on all night for that reason.

Thanks again.

p.s. twelvepole - lol Are you really an old lady? No idea why, but just from reading some of your posts in the past, I always assumed you were a middle-aged man. No idea why though...

Old 11-08-08, 08:37 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, my dear, I have been on these forums since the get go. I am a little old lady. With a handle like twelvepole, the creek bank upon which I grew up in Wayne, Co., WV, I am often thought of being a man and often get replies addressed to Mr. Twelvepole. LOL!

My life has taken me into many directions and experiences. I am well-read and educated. What I know would not fill up a thimble, as quoted from my HS Civics teacher Guy Smith. Thus, a jack of all trades and a master of none.

I always have TV or radio going to drown out neighbor noise. I'm not proud that I live where I live, but it is a 2-story condo and no one upstairs or below. I do, however, have neighbors on either side. Thus, the need to create white noise at low levels. Thank goodness the blonde bimbo on one side with the late night guests and loud musical video games failed to pay rent and got evicted. All is quiet right now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: