Proper way to Install Soundboard

Old 01-05-09, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper way to Install Soundboard

Hi:

I'm wanting to tame the noise from a cyclone dust collector.

I installed 1/2" sound board on the wall studs like you would hang dry wall. However, I am concerned that the sound board is so flaky" that maybe the air flow will cause a lot of the sound board particles to get in the air.

Do I need to cover the sound board with dry wall; can I just paint the sound board without lessening its performance; or is there a better way?

I've heard of using clips to isolate the sound board, but not sure how they should be installed.

Sure would appreciate some expert advice on using sound board (which us old foggies might refer to as Celotex--but really is a different composition).

Thanks,
s/Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-09, 10:41 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
In my opinion, a coat of paint will not reduce its effectiveness to any noticeable degree.

Bud

Old 01-06-09, 05:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
But 1/2" won't give alot of sound deadening. Do you have access to anything thicker, like 2" stuff. That would help reduce the noise alot more.

Old 01-06-09, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't know that sound board came in anything thicker than an 1/2". Guess I had better do some research.

Any body care to chime in on how to use the special clips to keep the sound from traveling through the framing??

s/Mike

Old 01-23-09, 12:38 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but contrary to manfacturer claims and according to actual soundproofing experts on another forum, "sound board" is no better (and probably worse) than drywall for sound isolation.

It's probably too late to use the RSIC (Resilient Sound Isolation Clips) clips if I understand what you think you want.

One style is usually installed to isloate the stud wall from the rest of the structure, and then you just attach the drywall as normal.

The other you mount to the studs and then attach drywall furring channel (DWFC or "hat channel") perpendicular to the studs and then attach the drywall to it.

IF it's not too much trouble to remove the panels you have already installed, you can add regular pink stuff insulation to the stud cavities. Then reinstall the panels and then add a second layer of 5/8s" drywall overtop. try not to overlap the seams of the two layers.

Something else to try if you remove the panels and get to the bare studs is to add 1X2 stapping perpendicular to the studs about two feet apart and attach the double homosote/drywall to that. That will give you a sort of "poor man's" Z channel and the effect of the second style RSIC mentioned above.

OR if you remove the panels just go ahead and use the second style RSIC and hat channel.

Good luck!