Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

ceiling/attic snap, crackles, and pops

Old 04-08-09, 05:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My ceiling/roof/attic (somewhere above my head) started popping (like knuckles) during the hot summer months last summer. Now, it's doing the same in the winter. It concerns me because I've lived here 10 years and this is a new development. It tends to be concentrated in the LR and I am seeing a small ridge in the ceiling, but I am unsure if it's been there forever and I'm just now noticing it or if it's new. When the popping sound happens, it's sharp and loud and sometimes 'ripples' a few times across the rom. I replaced the HVAC unit almost two years ago, have a programmable thermostat, and added two roof vents. Also to note, the house faces west and there is very little shade. This is definitely temp related, but not sure why this is happening now.

I have an attached carport that needs to be re-poured because it has settled about 3" and there is a small ridge on the roof from a rafter pushing up. That has been there since I moved in and has not progressed.

So my question is: What is this? Do I need to be concerned? I'm getting a roof soon and am wondering if the boards under the shingles are just damp and that's causing this. My biggest fear is it's structural and not just fixing what's obvious. The house is a wood frame house, 900 sq. ft and about 45 years old. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

Old 04-09-09, 03:26 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it a simple gable roof? What is the pitch? A shallower roof pitch exerts more stress where joinery can try to pull apart (like out at the walls, and where rafters are joined to the joists -as failure here can cause walls to bulge outward).

If the roof is shallow pitch and you have had snow loads up there, who knows what damage may have been done.

I think I'd want to take a peek up in that attic. Although, you have to understand roof framing, and know what to look for.

Describe that ridge as good as you can -width, up or down offset, length, and if it crosses the joists or runs with them.

This could be an indicator of great concern(the ridge showing up, along with the loud popping noises) and I'd look into this matter sooner than later.

If you go up in the attic - describe how the rafters and joists are made. Check out if there is one rafter per every joist - or not for all. Describe width of the boards used for these 2 things. And also note what kind of ties are used to either join one rafter side to the other rafter side (crossties) or any W-type bracing configurations that go between each rafter and joist, and any vertical bracing that may be between the ridge board (is there a ridge board?) and the joists. Also, measure how many inches are from center-to-center, for rafters and joists.

Also, do you know if multiple roof layers are on that roof, adding to the weight?

And then I thought of something else: Maybe the ceiling is simply trying to fall off! -plaster or sheetrock.

Old 04-14-09, 10:07 PM
good suggestions, some pics of the attic might be useful here and further info on the roof pitch, amount of materials that currently up there, etc. But it should definitely be looked into.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: