Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How high do you put drywall on concrete

Old 04-18-09, 12:12 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I bought my house with a 1/2 finished basement. Most of the drywall is already hung and the floor is bare concrete. The floor is never wet but the constant contact between the floor and the drywall seemed to make it "wick" moisture into it and gives it that bad basement smell.

I am sure it was easier to have the drywall hung by resting it on the floor first but I don't think that constant contact with the floor is doing the wall any good.

If I ever get around to finishing what was started should I leave a gap between the floor and the drywall, and if so, how high?

For the areas that are already done since they are not held in by more than 2-3 screws for each 4x8 foot sheet, should I simply raise them up and re-attach them to the wall or cut off a thin slice on the bottom.

I think cutting them would make a tremendous mess and I cannot think of a good way to do it and make it straight all the way along the wall.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-09, 03:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Drywall is usually hung about 1/2" off of the floor even when it's not concrete. Use a few scrap pieces of drywall or wood to set the drywall on - it makes holding it off of the floor a breeze.

Old 04-18-09, 05:17 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sweet! Thanks, MarkSr.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: