Accent wall SOS!!

Old 07-27-09, 11:29 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Accent wall SOS!!

My husband and I are not "handy", but we're trying to do better so we decided to paint our living 2 different colors. The problem is that we can't get an straight, even line in the corner where the 2 colors meet. We've used tape, but the paint stuck to the tape in a few places and peeled off in little spots. We tried an 18" trimmer guide, but the paint seems to run underneath it. I tried to even the line using a razor blade but that didn't work. We also tried using a slant brush, but neither of us have a very steady hand. I'm using semi-gloss latex paint so it's pretty thick and rubbery and hard to deal with. Any suggestions (other than hiring a professional) appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-09, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Our paint guru will chime in here shortly, but a slanted brush and a fast hand will usually give good results. You may be laboring too much with the paint letting it go on too thick. I find that doing the right facing wall first, let it dry then doing my cut in trim on the left wall works best as I am right handed and can see the left wall better when facing it and my hand to the right.
Just wait, Marksr will wake up here shortly. Do what he says. I'm a nail driver, not a painter.

Old 07-27-09, 05:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
A good brush is key...... and a little practice

A 2" sash [angle/slanted] brush will probably work best for you. I prefer the Purdy brand of brushes but there are other good brushes available. The main thing is you don't want to use an elcheapo brush - I doubt I could do a decent job with a cheap/inferior brush.

While generally it's best to use paint straight out of the bucket, it's ok to thin it a little if that will help you with brushing. Tape is almost always problematic, shields can work if they set tight against the wall. The correct way to use a shield is to hold it tight, and either use a fairly dry brush or try and hone your cut in skills by trying to keep the paint off of the shield. It's best to take a rag and wipe the shield clean each time you move it.

All that said, don't over stress about it. Cut it in, let it dry and then go back with the other color and touch up any boo boos.