Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Drywall bubbles in paper bullnose application

Drywall bubbles in paper bullnose application

Old 08-31-09, 08:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Drywall bubbles in paper bullnose application

HELP!!!! So I have a new baby on the way and decided to enclose the loft for our nursery. This is my first experience with drywall so please pardon the ignorance. We opted to use the paper bullnose corners and come to find out we applied the bullnose incorrectly ... and that is we didnt pretreat the paper before applying... so in other words we applied the paper bullnose dry then proceeded to apply the compound to the exterior of the tape ... everything looked great until it began to dry. We are now faced with 3 bullnose corners that have bubbles up and down both sides of the corner. My question is whats the best way to fix this issue? Do we rip them out and start over? Can we apply the 2nd & 3rd coats over top of the bubbles or will this cause later problems? do we cut out the bubbles? Suggestions please.

Old 09-01-09, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 785 Upvotes on 688 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've never installed any of the bullnose corner bead but I've painted a lot of it

Generally when the paper has bubbled it needs to have the bubble cut out and filled with joint compound. Just adding mud rarely ever fixes the problem.

I'm sure one of the pros will be along shortly.

Old 09-01-09, 02:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok let me see if I understand. You didn't put mud under the corner bead? How is it staying on the wall?

If you didn't put mud under the bead then take it off. It should come off very easily. Then get some all purpose mud, load up the corners with a lot of mud(1/4" thick), then push the bead into the mud. Get it straight then wipe down the paper on the sides. Let dry. Then coat over that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: