How to Extend Wall Vertically

Old 10-21-09, 01:51 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to Extend Wall Vertically

I'm new to this site and DIYing in general, we are closing on our house at the end of the month and there are some things we would like to change.

Currently we have a large island in our kitchen (see Links to pictures below) and would like to raise a portion of it so that it is a bar which we could eat at. There is a short wall (I think the term is pony wall) currently on the other side of the cabinets and that wall is what we would like to make taller. Is there a way to do this without tearing out the current wall and just building a new one which is taller. We will be putting granite counter tops in eventually so I don't know if that changes the answer at all.

Thanks for all of your advice in advance.

-Kyle
Imageshack - kitcheng

Imageshack - kitchen2u

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 10-22-09 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Embedded the images for you.
Old 10-21-09, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I am supposing you will be removing the current countertop, right? If so, you have an option of either building up on the short wall, or rebuilding it totally. By adding on, you will have to contend with internal bracing to keep the added portion from being weak. Also design considerations would be in order as you would either have to mimic what you have or contrast it . At that point, your new countertop can be installed on the flat sink surface as well as the "bar".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: