Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Dust and worse raining from wood ceiling

Old 03-08-10, 02:50 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

It's a tongue and groove pecky cypress ceiling and what's worse there is a protruding beam every 16" which means there are MULTIPLE opportunities for dust and debris to come raining down, including the mouse stuff (which I think we've eliminated with new mesh over the breathers). The mice, I mean; their stuff is still up there. Attic is very small and full of pipes and wiring--we'd need a midget--so cleaning and sealing from above is not one of our options.

So my thought is to thoroughly vacuum with super-suck and then coat with clear matte finish that would fill the voids and prevent the (dry) rain. What would I use?

Thanks.

Old 03-08-10, 03:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 758 Upvotes on 663 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Usually poly is used for a finish on T&G. It comes in 3 different sheens; satin, semi-gloss and gloss. What kind of finish [if any] is currently on the wood?

How big are the gaps that the dust and stuff is coming thru? Poly won't bridge gaps although having a slicker finish will help to keep the ceiling wood clean.

Old 03-08-10, 06:44 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you, marksr. Yes, exactly my fear: the poly will give me a nice smooth surface but the rain will continue.

There must be a clear rubberish material that will close the gaps, most of which are about the width of a knife blade. I guess I could try to find a caulking of the right color (maybe even clear) but I'm not looking forward to that many hours on a ladder.

It would be so nice to cover the fan and the two lights, and then spray the ceiling with my feet on the ground.

There's an idea: how about a caulking gun at the end of a broomstick!!?

Thanks,
Lee

Old 03-09-10, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 758 Upvotes on 663 Posts
Probably the best fix would be to clean the ceiling and then poly, let the poly dry and then use a clear latex caulking [it will go on milky but dry clear] and then another coat of poly over the caulking. Depending on the condition of the current finish [or lack of] caulking before poly might lead to discoloration

If you don't want to work off of a ladder you could use a scaffold, one with wheels would work well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: