Removing Kitchen Soffits

Old 03-22-10, 04:43 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Kitchen Soffits

I was thinking about taking my cabinets down and removing the soffit above them. I am a fairly decent drywaller but I have a construction/insulation question. On the exterior wall, the way the roof line comes down, I believe that there will be very little space between the kitchen ceiling and the actual roof. Possibly six inches or so. Is there any kind of insulation that would work well in such a scenario or should I just live with the soffits? Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-22-10, 05:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Why do you think six inches wouldn't be enough? That is a common thickness for insulation.

Old 03-23-10, 05:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
I'd be more concerned about what might be in the soffit - wires, plumbing, HVAC. I'd make sure inside the soffit is just an empty space before I got too carried away with removal.

Old 03-23-10, 11:35 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I will definitely be cutting a whole and checking to make sure there are no wires/vents etc but I was just concerned that having the actual roofing plywood so close to the insulation that the heat would transfer from the roof through the insulation easier. Normally there is some air space between the two. I guess maybe just the tops of those cabinets might get hot in the summer and cold in the winter? Thanks for all your suggestions.

Old 03-23-10, 12:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
It won't be any different than elsewhere in your house on the exterior walls. The roof line is probably the same on all or most of your exterior walls. The kitchen soffits main purpose is to make the cabinetry look better. because it's there, other trades might use the space to make their job easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: