Tiling and taping shower wall

Old 04-27-10, 07:22 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tiling and taping shower wall

I have just completed my shower pan and curb and now I'm getting ready to tape the cement board walls. My question is should I tape and apply the thinset to the joints as I tile or thinset the joints first let set then tile

Old 04-27-10, 09:20 PM
E
STOP!!! please read before you proceed any further.

Originally Posted by v b chil-n
I have just completed my shower pan and curb and now I'm getting ready to tape the cement board walls. My question is should I tape and apply the thinset to the joints as I tile or thinset the joints first let set then tile
Usually you can tape and thinset as you tile, at least thats what i do when i tile floors. BUT, i have a big question and concern for you. You said this is a shower. What is your waterproofing method for your shower? Im concerned becuase your asking about taping the cement board as you tile, which leads me to belive you are about to make a huge mistake. I hope you arent just planning on tiling on top of the cement board for a shower? You need to have a fully waterproof system in place for that tile to adhere to, cement board is not suitable for this application. My advice is to use a Kerdi shower system. How did you make your curb?

Old 04-28-10, 05:03 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would have to disagree, in the "old days" tile was put over blue board and unless there was a leak such as around the faucet it would last years. I've pulled a lot of walls down only because the customer was tired of the old pink or green tile. I can't say how long cement board will last but I've yet to run into any that is rotting, I've never used anything other than blue board or cement board on walls. I question the need to even tape it but since the tape is cheap why cut corners.

Old 04-28-10, 06:40 AM
E
Originally Posted by mgmine
I would have to disagree, in the "old days" tile was put over blue board and unless there was a leak such as around the faucet it would last years. I've pulled a lot of walls down only because the customer was tired of the old pink or green tile. I can't say how long cement board will last but I've yet to run into any that is rotting, I've never used anything other than blue board or cement board on walls. I question the need to even tape it but since the tape is cheap why cut corners.
Your words exactaly. "Why Cut Corners" Just becuase something has worked for years as youve put it, dosent mean its the right way to do things anymore. years ago we used to paint our houses with lead paint and we dont do that anymore. Why even give the mold a chance to grow in your shower. Someone is putting a lot of money to do a renovation, why not give them the advice to do it the RIGHT way the first time. And you not understanding the need to tape the joints. What is stopping any water that may get under the tile from going through the seams in the cement board? Seriously, if your doing a project, please do it the right way by todays standards, not just what the code requires. Make it right, make it last forever. I dont know about you, but 500$ is good piece of mind that i dont EVER have to worry about mold or leakage in my shower.

Old 04-28-10, 07:29 AM
V
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ
Usually you can tape and thinset as you tile, at least thats what i do when i tile floors. BUT, i have a big question and concern for you. You said this is a shower. What is your waterproofing method for your shower? Im concerned becuase your asking about taping the cement board as you tile, which leads me to belive you are about to make a huge mistake. I hope you arent just planning on tiling on top of the cement board for a shower? You need to have a fully waterproof system in place for that tile to adhere to, cement board is not suitable for this application. My advice is to use a Kerdi shower system. How did you make your curb?
here is what I have done so far. the pan is mortar then liner then mortar with the proper pitch,the curb is 2x4's with the liner draped over and attached on the outside, metal lathe was placed over the curb then it was covered with the proper cement mix. The wall have roofing felt attached to the studs then the cement board on to of that. this is where i left off. the old shower had no liner cement board or felt and never leaked (the house is 23 years old).

Old 04-29-10, 05:56 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'll just say this that I have never had water go through tiles unless the grout was bad and I could count on one hand seeing that happen. I'm retired now but up until a few years ago I had one set price to tear out a tub, install a new tub, cement board (used to be blue board) and re-tile in a builders grade ceramic tile for a total cost of $995.00. Over the years you can imagine how many jobs I did and never had a complaint about tile falling off. Yes there are new products out there and if they are better than old ones I'll try them (that's why I switched to cement board) but I won't try something new just because the manufacture says it's better, advertising hype is what sells. Maybe Kerdi is a good product but is it worth the extra work and cost? Mike Holmes uses it or something like it but then again he uses all DeWalt tools which are provided free. I think 23 years is long enough to look at a tile bath by that time it's time to remodel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: