wainscoating

Old 11-28-00, 04:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

should be an easy one, but I am not sure......when installing new wainscoating over regular dry wall (finished), do you butt the wainscoating up to the chair rail or install under the edge?.....thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-00, 06:26 PM
Visiting Guest
What material are you going to use? I am going to assume wallpaper since you stated butt up to or under the chair rail. I butt up against it. It is a lot easier to putty, prime, sand, caulk and paint the chair rail without having to worry with the finished wall, whether it is paint, wallpaper or paneling. I have on occation popped a line and installed the wainscot before the chair rail, this was when pre-finished chair railing or wallpaper border was installed.

If it is a panel wainscot, then if you install under the chair rail you will have to make sure the chair rail is routered (notched) for the paneling and you will need to pop a level line where it is to be installed and follow it closely. Otherwise you will need to butt it.

Chip - Painting Moderator

Old 11-29-00, 05:59 AM
Visiting Guest
dkelsey,

Are you refering to the molding cap that goes over the top of the wainscoating? If so, yes the molding should sit on top of the wainscoating with the molding ell overhanging the top front edge of the wainscoating. This means your wainscoating height needs to be level across the top edge between the panels a least within the measurement of the overhanging ell/edge. Hope this makes sense. Don C.