Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

refinishing ceiling with wood

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-09-00, 06:37 AM   #1  
My husband and I have seen a few homes with ceilings that look like they've been paneled in wood and we really like the look. Our family room ceiling is drywall, the seems look like cracks, and it looks awful. We would like to either tile or panel over it, and want to know if it's possible to finish it with wood or wood paneling, what materials and steps are necessary, and if this is something we can do ourselves or should we hire a professional. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

NC

12-09-00, 07:12 AM   #2  
Sure you can put wood tongue-and-groove boards or wood panels on your ceiling. You can d-i-y, and I would rent a sheetrock hoist, if you go with the 4'X 8' panels. Stagger the materials from row to row, and make certain that you install them perpandicular to your ceiling joists (secure nailing).
I've recently seen an older home with cracked plaster ceilings that the owner had had 4' X 8' stained panels of replica "beaded board" put up on 1" X 4"s nailed to the ceiling joists in the large two-story stairwell/formal foyer.
He told me that the panels come finished (stained) or unfinished (for priming and painting, which I would do before installation, boards or panels, then touchup).
His ceiling was beautiful in that big old home with stained woodwork.
Look into the different choices.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread