Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Fastening Crown Molding to Wall/Ceiling Area

Fastening Crown Molding to Wall/Ceiling Area

Old 12-15-00, 08:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

First off thanx to Steve's Place for the info about mitering inside and outside corners of crown moldings. My question is what is the best way to fasten the crown molding to the wall/ceiling area? What is the crown molding actually being fastened to? Should I putting a 1"x up on the top wall and Ceiling to nail the crown molding to?

Is there any web site that anyone knows of that has the proceedure to this process?

Any help is appreciated

Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-00, 11:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Your crown molding, at the proper angle and tight to the ceiling, is simply nailed to the top of the wall framing with angled finishing nails (# 8s usually), right through the molding and 1/2" sheetrock.
Sink the nails with a nail set, putty, and paint.
Good Luck!

Old 12-17-00, 08:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Olg Guy is coreect, however if this is something new to you and you want the crown to be tight to the ceiling, I suggest securing a piect of 1x to the ceiling wall corner, and then install the crown, this way when you nail, you won't have to worry about mising the framing and loading the crown up with nails that missed. Once done you can use a little caulk to fill any small void between the ceiling and crown. Good luck. PS rent a pneumatic crown finish nailer if you want to save time.

Old 12-23-00, 04:56 PM
Visiting Guest
I just installed crown, chair rail, base, and casing in two new houses this past week. I use a 16 gauge pneumatic finish nailer with 2"(6d)nails for almost all my finish work.