Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Strange Gray Shadows On Ceiling But Roof Not Leaking?

Old 11-19-10, 12:32 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm new here, and I hope I'm posting this to the right section. If not, maybe someone could kindly point me to the right forum.

Here's our problem: We recently noticed three large gray shadows in our ceiling; one in the living room and two in one of our bedrooms. All are not the typical circular shape you see from a roof leak dripping. Rather, these are more like "blob" shaped, and all are on the ceiling close to where it meets the wall; all are also at the "front" -- as in, facing the front of our house along the guttering side.

We had a new roof put on in the summer of 2009, and have had no problems. In the past few weeks we've had the roofing company come out twice and check for any signs of water getting in and they swear the roof is not leaking. However, they would not go into the attic and pull up the insulation directly above the location of these three "shadows" to check for us; they only did thorough exterior checks.

They gave a couple of guesses as to exactly what is causing this: 1) The previous home owners had painted over these shadows and now they are bleeding through. We have lived there for 5 years and I find this hard to believe. 2) The gutters became so full of rain during heavy downpours that the water couldn't drain out fast enough and actually spilled "backwards" into the house to the point that it reached the attic and caused the moisture "shadows" in our ceiling. Now I have heard of "ice dams" forming in gutters during the winter months during the cold temps and similar things happening as a result, but I've never heard of gutters overflowing back into the house in the summer/fall months.

I am just looking for opinions from people who have had experience with the same or similar issues as this, and trying to find out if it's not from a leaky roof, what could be the source/cause of these "shadows"? My husband and I are not experienced in home improvement or repair in any way, and we've never had any home-owner problems to deal with before.

Old 11-19-10, 12:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 786 Upvotes on 689 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Would these shadows show up in a pic? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

It's hard to say what the shadows are without being there to see them. Water stains are usually fairly dark. Can you get up in the attic to inspect under the insulation? or get someone to do it for you?

It could also be the way light reflects. If there are differences in the texture [and sometimes paint] the way light hits will either make it less noticeable or maybe not noticeable at all. Do the shadows go away when you shine a bright light on the shadows?

Old 11-19-10, 12:49 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I am going to take some pictures this evening and post. They are light gray and they are visible all the time, even with just a flashlight shining on them in the dark. We've done all the lighting tests to make sure it wasn't an object in the room playing tricks on us. We are planning on having a professional of some sort check under the insulation for us, because they will know what to look for. I guess the bottom line is, if there truly is no moisture getting into the space above our ceilings, we cannot imagine what could be causing this. I will post pictures this evening. Thanks!

Old 11-19-10, 01:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,232 Upvotes on 1,180 Posts
Unless there's a problem with you getting in to your attic, you don't need a pro for this - just climb up there and take a look, you'll be able to tell if anything is amiss

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: