Advice on damp issue please.

Old 01-08-11, 08:41 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on damp issue please.

Hi,

We have owned our 1970's house for a little over a year now and have noticed that the issue in the picture is getting worse. I really don't have a clue about DIY and would really appreciate some help, as I'd really like to get this fixed...and learn a bit about DIY

Is it possible that the damp is coming from the shower unit? You can see the pan on the left hand side.

Please could you let me know what I need to do to stop and fix the problem.

Many thanks,

David.

Old 01-09-11, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It's a little hard to tell from the pic but I suspect the caulking around the shower has/is failing. If that's the cause, removing the old caulk, cleaning the surface well and making sure it's dry and then recaulking would be the fix.

Old 01-10-11, 02:01 AM
D
Hi marksr,

Thanks for your reply, do you mean inside the shower? I can take more pictures if you need. Shortly after moving in I noticed a couple of the tiles had cracked so I used silicone sealer to seal them. They still appear to be waterproof.

Would mould inside the shower between the original sealer and tiles suggest where the water is getting in?

Thanks for your help.

David.

Old 01-10-11, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The 2 main ways for the moisture/mold to get to the outside of the shower area is either coming thru the shower enclosure [it should be caulked to the tile] or moisture migrating thru the wall from either a plumbing leak or tiles that aren't holding back the water. Mold forms where water gets in and can't dry in a reasonable amount of time. A bleach/water solution will kill/remove mold. Mold needs moisture and heat to grow, removal of either will generally prevent reoccurrence.

Old 01-11-11, 02:05 AM
D
Hi marksr,

Many thanks for your help. I'll investigate and let you know how I got on.

Cheers.

Old 01-11-11, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I should have added that about the only way moisture will go thru the tile is at the grout joints, most tiles are waterproof..... unless they are cracked

Old 01-11-11, 05:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Man-made tiles like ceramic would be waterproof unless cracked but natural stone is not and would potentially need to be sealed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: