Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

drywall for garage/furnace room that is also waterproof?

Old 01-24-11, 12:33 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My garage is a tuck under and there is a required wall between the garage and the furnace. This drywall has to be a special grade/specification (it is written on the back, but I am not sure what it is at the moment). My issue is that the floor drain (lowest point in the basement floor) is on the other side of the drywall (basement part not garage part). My basement doesn't leak but the drywall between the garage and the basement gets wet whenever I pull my car in from the rain or snow because the water drains to the lowest point in the floor on the other side of the wall.

Question is there a water proof drywall that is also graded for seperating a furnace and garage?

Old 01-24-11, 02:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You need to use a 5/8" fire rated drywall per code. I don't know if it comes in a water resistant version. How much water are you expecting to get on the floor? Drywall should never be installed with direct contact to masonry. It's common practice to install the drywall about 1/2" or so of off the concrete. A coat of primer and finish paint [preferably a latex enamel] should give the drywall all the moisture protection it would normally need.

Old 02-22-11, 08:24 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I'd guess someone sat the drywall tight to the floor, which is a big no no. What may have happened by now is mold has sat in behind that wall. What we have had to do in some cases is use 5/4 vinyl lumber and just lay it againt the sheetrock, mark the wall, and cut that section out. Spray behind the wall with bleach and water, let it dry and then install the vinyl. It looks like a base board when done.
And no there is no waterproof drywall, only water resistant called green board or paperless.
When someone knows what there doing they first poe footings, than set at least one row of block above grade then build the walls on top of that so the garage can be hosed out without damaging the sheetrock walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: