Where to merge Old and New Drywall

Old 02-20-11, 08:42 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where to merge Old and New Drywall

I gutted shower stall only. Most of other drywall in bathroom is intact.

I'll be covering shower stall with Schluter Kerdi so I'll probably use firberglass wall board instead of concrete.

I'm trying to decide where to locate the seams between the old drywall and new wall board.

I lean toward option A:

Option A:
Locate seams 2" inside of tile field so that seams will be hidden underneath the tile and I want have to finish them as smoothly, but there are no studs at this seam location, so I would float a 1 x 3 behind the seam and screw the old and new wallboard into the the 1 x 3. Because the Schluter Kerdi membrane is completely waterproof, it can be installed over standard gypsum wallboard.

Option B:
Locate seam on the first wall stud outside of the tile field. I hate making seams on the raw (non-recessed) edge of the drywall, but I suspect this is the way it should be done. Since this seam will be more visible, I will have to make sure it looks good.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Old 02-20-11, 09:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Option A would make a smoother seam, and don't worry about a little SR under the edge of the tile, since it basically will be out of the wet area, anyway. Install a new stud where you want it, and do all cubby hole framing, etc. while you got it down. 1x3 offers little structural stiffness. Go ahead and install a full size stud, or perlins every 12" from shower base to top of unit. Stud would be better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: