drywall corners

Old 03-10-11, 01:58 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drywall corners

I am installing metal outside corners on new drywall. Framing is treated wood. How can I avoid the common 'cracks' from edges of the metal corners? I was going to use screws instead of ring nails, but the drywall screws caused the metal to flex out. Should I mud under the corners before putting them up? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-10-11, 02:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've always had better luck finishing over nailed on corner bead than when screws were used. Some will tape the joint where the corner bead meets the drywall - that would just about eliminate the chance of the mud cracking.

Why was treated wood used for the framing? PT wood is bad to warp and/or shrink as it dries out. I'd be more worried about the PT wood causing issues than anything else.

Old 03-10-11, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The concensus now is not to screw or nail corner bead on. It is thought that the nail or screw will contract and expand and twist with the framing and crack the bead out. I like and always use the mud on corner bead. It is metal corner bead with paper on it that is mudded on like tape. Another option is to hold regular metal bead in place with 1/2" staples then tape over the edges with mud and tape.

Old 03-10-11, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Coops, I saw the staple thingy on the last commercial job I did the trim on. Hey, it works! All you need is to hold it in place. The metal embedded paper corner bead is straight from heaven. You don't have the angle to deal with as you do on metal corner bead.

Old 03-10-11, 05:25 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
With pressure treated wood the nails staples or screws are going to rust off within a year. The new pressure treated wood is treated with copper, so a steel fastners will rust off from eletrosis.
Also if it was new wood once it drys out the screws or nails will become loose.
http://www.aces.edu/poultryventilati...5ACQLumber.pdf
We have been using roofing nails to attach metal corner bead, if you do not over nail then the metal does not bend and hump up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: