header for load bearing wall

Old 05-17-11, 05:55 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
header for load bearing wall

I am remodeling an older 1.5 story home. A header was put in between the kitchen and living room years ago by previous owners and the ceilings were all dropped from 9' to 8'. I tore out some sheetrock next to the header that was bad, only to find that the header does not sit directly under the floor joist. What they seem to have done is cut the 2X4's approximately 8" under the orignal wall and butted the header against these. The opening is 14.5' with four 2X7 (actual width)X14.5 boards nailed together for the header. Holding the header up are spliced 2X4's (2 on each end). I want to move the header directly under the floor joist but need to know 1)if the header, in place, is strong enough for the opening it is sustaining and 2)if not, what do I need to use for the header to support the wall adequately. I am aware that I would need to build 2 temp walls to support the above floor while raising the header that is there now as the joists are spliced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-11, 07:48 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Header

We need to see some photos of your project in order to give the best advice. Post your photos in Photobucket and post the links here.

Old 05-17-11, 08:43 AM
B
How do I get to Photobucket?

Old 05-17-11, 08:48 AM
D
Old 05-17-11, 09:48 AM
B
OK, I found it and posted 2 pics. There are four 2X7"X14.5 boards nailed together for the header. Hopefully the pics will tell you the rest to see what I am trying to say here. Thank you for the replys. Pictures by browneyedsusie - Photobucket

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: