Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Setting Type or Ready Mix for Bathroom Ceiling

Old 07-10-11, 08:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

In 2 prior homes, I have had to patch bathroom ceilings where the ceiling paint and textured coating peeled because of moisture.

Currently, I am taping new ceilings in two bathrooms. Because of past problems, I am trying to do all I can to prevent similar problems in these bathrooms. Both these bathrooms will have smooth ceilings.

I have been using 90 minute setting type compound instead of ready mix based on an assumption that the setting type would be much less likely to fail.

B/c I'm a very slow amateur taper, the setting compound is a lot more trouble b/c I am unable to finish one coat on both ceilings before my 90 minutes is up.

So, Is my original theory about better adhesion accurate, or am I just making things harder with no real payoff?

Old 07-11-11, 05:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 753 Upvotes on 658 Posts
Ready mix j/c is water soluble, setting compounds are not. But as long as the drywall and j/c is primed and painted with a latex enamel - there shouldn't be any problems. Failure will only occur if the paint is compromised and the j/c is allowed to get wet. Years ago builders were notorious for using ceiling texture that looked good without paint. If the texture was not painted, it would fail in bath rms that had showers and anywhere [like from an open window] that moisture was allowed to collect on the texture.

If you want to continue using a setting compound - mix up a smaller batch. You only want to mix up what you can use before it starts to stiffen up.

Old 07-11-11, 05:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
I've used joint compound without problem in bathrooms.

As Mark said, it's fine as long as you keep it dry after it dries, which your paint should do for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: