Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

painting wallpaper that was applied on top of paneling

Old 07-12-11, 08:11 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of remodeling my home. I planned on removing the wallpaper in the kitchen and painting the walls. Much to my surprise, the wallpaper has been applied directly to paneling. Can I prime the wallpaper and paint it or will the grooves in the paneling "show through"?

Old 07-12-11, 08:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Painting over wallpaper can be problematic, it's best to remove the wallpaper if you can.

That said, panelling is not much fun to deal with, either. Honestly, I'm not sure you're going to get good results without tearing it all out and replacing with drywall but there are others on the site who should be chiming in shortly who may have better ideas than I do.

Old 07-12-11, 09:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Do the grooves in the paneling show thru the wallpaper? If they don't, it's unlikely they will show if you paint the wallpaper. It's best to use a solvent based primer when painting over wallpaper for the 1st time. That prevents the water in latex paint from penetrating the paper and partially dissolving the wallpaper adhesive. Painting over wallpaper makes it harder to remove the paper although it probably doesn't make a lot of difference with paneling.

I like Mitch's idea of replacing the paneling with drywall but that's easier said than done - especially in a kitchen. To do it right, you'd need to remove the cabinets It would allow you to update any insulation, vapor barrier and electrical if needed. You could laminate over the plywood with 1/4" drywall. You'd need to remove the wood trim and have a good fit around the cabinets. I'm not sure if you'd be required to use electrical box extensions - you might need to ask an electrician to be sure

Old 07-12-11, 09:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'm guessing your surprise at finding paneling means you don't see the grooves now. If so, you may get decent results painting if you follow Mark's advice for doing so.

Yeah, my mentioning replacing the paneling with drywall wasn't meant to be a suggestion as much as a way to point out this is not an optimal situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: