Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Ceiling tile disaster. $1600 down the drain. Fasade Tiles HELP!

Old 07-13-11, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon,
I installed $1200 worth of Fasade PVC Thermoplastic Ceiling tiles and $200 worth of crown molding in my living room. I followed the instructions as per the manufacturers recommendations. FRP adhesive troweled onto ceiling tile, prime the surface of the ceiling etc. I created a sub ceiling with 5mm hardwood plywood and really insured it was set on the shims on the plaster surface with screws and other adhesive. The shims were very secure too. I made sure to stagger and leave a small gap between sheets of plywood just like on a floor install. I reinforced the shims too. There is no water damage.
The ceiling is sagging and parts of it are separating from the other adjoining parts. I have contacted Home Depot and they are working on this issue. It appears as if an inspector will come out. I am afraid that this inspector is going to find some loophole and end up placing fault on the installer, me.
What could this be caused by? The ceiling was perfectly level to start with. I primed the surface and used the correct adhesive. I took my time and worked in a very detail-oriented way. Could have the adhesive failed? Could have the design of the Fasade tile caused too much adhesive weight and it never properly dried? Hope this works out because I did the job for my mom and she is VERY upset.
Here are pictures of my disaster: Disaster Pictures/
Here are pictures of the tiles I used: Home Depot Tiles

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-11, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! In picture one, where the tile is pulled down, I don't see any troweled adhesive, just a few dots. I would have troweled it on the ceiling and stuck the tiles to it. The tiles don't have a smooth surface to trowel to. Let us know what big orange has to say.

Old 07-13-11, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I initially tried that method of troweling the ceiling and it was a no go. Couldn't get enough FRP on the ceiling even after combing it out without it dripping.The ceiling tile surface was very textured. I'm fairly confident it is/was an adhesive issue. Some of the adhesive is still tacky to this day. It never cured or set.

Old 07-14-11, 05:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
It sure looks like an issue with the adhesive, it's just tough to say product or application at this point