Kitchen drywall materials

Old 07-25-11, 07:18 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen drywall materials

OK, at the point on the kitchen remodel that we'll soon go pick up drywall.

I've done a fair amount of drywall over the years on this house, I don't mind the process and this time, no ceiling (did beadboard).

When I did the last bathroom, I did the whole thing in moisture-resistant drywall. Is this good idea for the kitchen as well, or a waste of money?

Data point: adult home, no kids, I don't see the faucet being left on for hours, etc.

In another topic, I got the reply that for the band of wall above the backsplash and below the wall cabinets, where I plan on tile, concrete board not really required.

Old 07-25-11, 07:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I doubt it is a waste of money as it would likely only cost an extra $20 at most. Maybe just do the area where the water is. Around the sink and behind the dishwasher.

Tile will stick to drywall just fine.

Old 07-25-11, 09:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sometimes there are issues with paint adhesion over greenboard. IMO primer and a coat or two of latex enamel will give the drywall all the protection it needs.

Old 07-25-11, 11:01 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If by moisture resistant you mean greenboard it's probably a waste. As Mark posted a good paint job is more than adequate for moisture protection.

Old 07-26-11, 10:19 AM
T
Thanks, guys. It's nice not to ALWAYS have to buy the most-expensive option (although, as noted, not a whole lot more).

BTW, don't try to bring home 30 sheets in a mail-order kit trailer. Ask me know I know.

Old 08-24-11, 12:32 PM
T
It's all up (in the kitchen not the breakfast nook yet), the labeling said "UltraLight" -- who are they kidding?

Old 08-24-11, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiger1964
BTW, don't try to bring home 30 sheets in a mail-order kit trailer. Ask me know I know.

How do you know...lol? Tires, bearings, or axle?

Old 10-26-11, 08:02 AM
T
Axle. It was only 1/2 mile from the (now defunct) lumber year / home center, got halfway home and the axle bent in the middle, made it the rest of the way with the tires scraping the side of the trailer. Very lucky. I ordered a replacement axle, and a neighbor who welded reinforced it by welding bar stock inside the C-channel construction of the axle. That was many years ago, no probs since; but we still buy our drywall in smaller lots, just to be sure.

Originally Posted by Gunguy45
How do you know...lol? Tires, bearings, or axle?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: