Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

drywall on wall -tight up against ceiling?

Old 07-26-11, 04:45 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

have room that I had to steal some area from to make hallway for new addition. I built new wall. company was coming so just threw up some drywall to at least make a room. only put minimal screws into it. noticed that really get a lot of noise when you walk in room from the drywall on wall rubbing against the old drywall on ceiling. the new wall was built keeping the existing ceiling drywall intact since I had no way to work in attic since my heat pump sits right above this area and the exisitng ceiling is a drop ceiling. I attached new wall using toggle bolts in each bay into the existing ceiling drywall. it is solid. but the floor is very bouncy and I plan to put in new LVL later on to correct that. in meantime, was wondering if should go ahead and properly attach the drywall and that will likely stop the movement of it against the old drywall. or should you have a very slight gap between them? I put it up tight against the ceiling.

Old 07-26-11, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You say in one place that "its solid" and you also say that the drywall you put up is "tight against the ceiling". I guess I don't understand where the noise is coming from if those two things are true?

Is it because you only put a few screws in it, that it is moving? Maybe you could explain the movement a little more.

Old 07-26-11, 08:43 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the top plate is tight against the old ceiling and the wall is snug. you can't perceive any movement when pushing on it. but I know the floor is very bouncy. so when you walk, the floor joists dip and I think everything moves-wall, new drywall. so any slight difference in their movement (one joist deflecting slightly while next is not) means things slide against each other. so new wall drywall is tight against ceiling with no gap(but only held with minimal screws right now) also, the drywall was put up snug against ceiling before all the lag bolts holding top plate to existing ceiling were in place so the new drywall is really tight against ceiling. should it be tight like this or should I move it down so it isn't touching-like 1/16" gap? I could tighten everything up and see if noise stops but hate to do that and find out that I should have lowered drywall slightly. ultimately this shouldn't be issue whenLVL placed mid span of the joists, but just want to know standard for hanging drywall on a wall-as tight as you can get it or leave slight gap?

Old 07-26-11, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Ok, so I am guessing that your top plate is between ceiling joists, and that when someone steps on the floor (above) the weight causes some bending of the ceiling drywall to take place, since there is no blocking above the top plate to prevent this from happening. The top plate may even be slipping a bit side to side because of this. Or at least the drywall is able to "wiggle" a little as someone steps on one joist on one side of the wall and then on the one on the other side of the wall. (I'm guessing?)

Maybe what you could do is take that drywall off and glue the top plate to the drywall on the ceiling (the toggle bolts are probably allowing "some" movement) Just run a bead of construction adhesive along each side of that top plate. Then put the drywall back up. Yes that drywall should be tight to the ceiling. You may have problems with this joint cracking if there is that much movement when someone walks... so it wouldn't hurt to have that construction adhesive behind this joint.

This noise... it isn't nails squeaking, is it? Is the noise at the ceiling near the new wall or at the floor near the new wall. I guess I am still a little unclear. (or just tired. LOL)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: