Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Intersecting walls; one drywall, other tile on Hardibacker

Old 10-04-11, 11:44 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have begun renovation on my small bathroom. It was previously all drywall, with tub surround in 4" tile (on drywall). I was first going to replace all 4 walls with 6" tile on Hardibacker cement board (1/2 in.), but after running into trouble with the wall containing the entry door I decided to only tile the other 3 (tub wall & other 2 opposing adjacent walls). The problem was that I couldn't figure out how to install my new door frame molding with the new thicker wall (1/2" of Hardibacker + about another 5/16" of tile and quickset). So here's my new question...the one wall is going to be 1/2" drywall again as before. Where that wall meets the adjacent tiled wall (on Hardibacker), which wall should go underneath the other, all the way to the stud? I keep thinking about mounting surface available for screwing the edges down, and whether or not I shold put up a doubler. If I extend the tiled wall (about 7/8" thick) all the way to the stud, I will have plenty of room for mounting screws for that heavy wall. However, the thickness of it will take up the lions share of the adjacent stud into which I will screw the adjacent drywall screws, probably neccessitating a doubler. On the other hand, if I install the drywall first, all the way to the stud, it will use up only 1/2" of thickness, and leave about an inch left over for screwing the Hardibackerin for the tiled wall. That's a close call for my judgement, as to whether or not it's enough to prevent the Hardibacker from crumbling around the screw holes when I hang it. Which way would be best?

Old 10-04-11, 02:38 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Based on what you're saying I would hang the hardibacker first & double the stud on the drywall. If you want to post some pics, that might help.

Old 10-04-11, 03:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: