Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

mold or mildew in closet + mildew smell

Old 12-06-11, 11:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

OK, I have a problem but need some help determining what to fix.

In a bedroom closet, there is a mildew smell and obvious mildew /mold on the exterior wall. This closet's back is against the bathroom/shower.

I know water is getting in somehow, but can't figure out where.

The mildew is on the exterior wall, NOT on the wall against the shower. There is NO vapor barrier between the shower and the closet.

There is no obvious place that water would be getting in through the exterior wall, and no other mold or mildew is showing up anywhere else in the house.

the exterior wall is insulated with blown in insulation.

There is no obvious leaking water in the shower, I've opened the hatch several times to inspect and everything is dry.

The only thing that I could figure is that water vapor is getting through the wall from the shower and condensing on the relatively cool exterior wall. but I've been leaving the closet door open, so it's temperature is the same as the rest of the room.

And, I do not have this problem in the MUCH more humid bathroom!!

Please see the attached image. and thanks!

http://www.splankin.com/uldl/mold.pdf

Old 12-06-11, 02:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Either you are missing something on the outside wall or the pipes turn & travel downwards at the spot where you see the mold.

Old 12-06-11, 03:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Closets are more prone to mildew when the conditions are right because there isn't much air ventilation in the room. Leaving the door open helps but air movement is still restricted on account of the clothes. Do you know if the exterior wall has adequate insulation? a vapor barrier? Repainting the closet with a bath rm paint [has extra mildewcide] might help.

Old 12-06-11, 03:15 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Closets often have a problem of being isolated from the heat source. With the door open, then the question becomes is the air flowing into the closet of out of. A bit of smoke might tell you. That access to the plumbing could also be an access to a cold source of air, via the holes drilled for those pipes.

Condensation is the most probable source of the moisture. In all homes cold air enters the lower portion and forces the warm air up and out the upper portion. Where this closet fits in that sequence will need to be determined.

Bud

I type too slow.

Old 12-13-11, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the advice. We do leave the closet open. Oddly enough, the problem seemed much worse in the summer than the winter. There are no pipes at the problem area.

I'll see if I can figure out if cold air is coming in from somewhere.

I"m guessing the exterior wall has blown in insulation (that's what the rest of the house has). I'd also assume no vapor barrier, unless the insulation itself acts as a vapor barrier.

Old 12-13-11, 09:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The vapor barrier is separate from the blown insulation. I've heard there are paints that can double as a vapor barrier. I don't know much about it but would assume it would have to be a solvent based coating since the molecules in solvent based paint are denser or closer together [or something] If that's true, a oil base or shellac based primer top coated with latex paint would be the way to go.

Old 12-13-11, 02:10 PM
R
Is this an older BRICK home? Closet in corner? Upper floor?

Old 12-13-11, 02:16 PM
wood home. closet is in the middle of the house (although located on exterior wall). Upper floor.

Old 12-13-11, 02:34 PM
R
Reason I asked regarding brick & location is that I have seen this problem develop due to a need of tuck-pointing because of water damage/ run-off at the eaves.

This problem usually develops first in the corners of the home & older multi-story homes seem to often have closets placed there.

Is the bathroom vented with a 'fart-fan' :grin:? If so, is it vented to an outside wall or through the roof? I have also seen mildew develop because bathroom fans are vented only into the attic (a no-no). As mentioned, closets are 'dead-air' spaces and prone to indicate a general moisture problem first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: