Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Framing a basement non-loadbearing wall question

Old 12-12-11, 09:12 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm a new homeowner in WI without much framing experience and have an unfinished basement I wanted to frame out. I've got a good start but may have run into a problem. The first wall I framed, I didn't use a top plate and just nailed the studs to the joists that ran perpendicular to the wall. It's a non-load bearing wall that will basically only have to support the weight of the drywall. A friend of mine said I needed a top plate. Do I need to start over?

If so, any suggestions?

Thanks for helping a newbie,
Brian

Old 12-12-11, 10:53 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Knowing how, and then doing it the right way is a must when doing it yourself, and in this case it will provide a way to ensure the wall is straight, level and plumb, and will provide added joist support and in fact can be faster than what you have done so far. You also should have the crown of each stud going on the same side to help keep the finished wall from becoming wavy. I would also suggest that as a newbie you obtain some good recent books on finishing a basement. This may help you not only with the basic wall framing methods (load bearing or partion) but also with information around insulation, moisture, best materials, corners etc. dependng on what level you plan to finish it all in the future. In your case, not only should you have a top plate, your bottom plate should be isolated from the concrete floor with a gasket or poly for example too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: