patching drywall to new window liner

Old 01-15-01, 10:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Recently removed an aluminum kitchen window and installed a garden window. All went well except that the window liner (3/4"x 5") was attached to the aluminum window with clips and therefore ripped out with the old window. Unexpectedly.

The drywall had overlaped the liner on the inside. I scored the drywall 3/4" back before the liner was completly removed so that the drywall did not rip.

What is the best way to tie the new liner that I have to install to the existing drywall? One problem I see is that the drywall has a 'severe' texture applied to it, on the order of orange peel but with wider and deeper textures.

Thanks for any help.....gary

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-01, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hello,

OUCH! It sounds like you've been having fun... If you only need to match the texture on a 3/4 inch strip around the window (Which is kinda the picture I'm getting) you could probably do it best (and easiest and cheapest) by taking a medium to small trowel knife and randomly daubing mud on the new section and then knocking it down. If you have trouble reacting a section (because you hit a wall or something) just use a smaller tool, like a putty knife. This technique would be a pain to do a larger area with, but for this small job should work fine... I hope I explained it well...

Good Luck!

Old 01-16-01, 09:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I think I understand what you suggest. I will have to repeat this for an additional 4 windows since I am retrofitting vinyl elsewhere.

Should I bring the new liner flush with the drywall and patch to it thereby leaving the 3/4" revealed or is it better to drop the liner back 1/4" or so and mud over the 3/4" so that the liner edge is covered? Or is it personal preference?

Old 01-16-01, 10:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hello again,

I'd think it would probably be just a matter of looks. What do you think would look better. I'd probably bring the drywall all the way to the window frame and place the trim over the top of it.

Good Luck!

Old 01-16-01, 11:03 AM
Visiting Guest
..no trim involved (unless absolutely necessary) so I need to make the drywall/liner merge as nice as possible.
Any problem with taping the joint between the drywall and liner and then mudding over it onto the wood liner itself? Does the compound adhere to wood well enough?
Don't mean to beat this topic to death....sorry.
thanks again

Old 01-16-01, 03:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

The mud will adhere to the wood fine, I'd probably keep the liner in a little and mud over it.

Don't forget to tape the joint between the new liner and the old drywall..

Good Luck!

Old 01-16-01, 03:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Great! I am off to do the work....thanks.

Search this Thread