new wall in finished room

Old 01-17-01, 10:37 PM
Visiting Guest
I want to build a wall which will partition one large room into two smaller ones. The new wall will not be load bearing, contain no utilities, no windows and no doors. The room is 'finished' now, including wallboard and carpeting. I'm anticipating two problems. First, I'm not sure if I need to cut away the carpeting to expose the subflooring or not. Is it possible to nail directly down through the existing carpeting? If so, do i need to do anything special? Second, I realize that the new wall will gauge the existing wallboard on the ceiling if I preconstruct the wall on the floor and then try to position it. Is there any trick that will allow me to put some or all of the wall together before putting in in place? Or do i need to nail the frame in place first and then add the studs last?

Old 01-18-01, 02:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

It would depend... Nailing to the floor should be no problem, but nailing to the ceiling requires a little thought. If your top plate is perpendicular to your ceiling joists then you should be fine, just nail it to the joists. If not, you'll need to add some blocking to give yourself something to nail to, or find a joist that happens to run in the exact spot you want to build your wall and nail to that.
Going over the carpeting is not really a problem, but some might call it sloppy.
I can't think of any way to build part of your wall out of place.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: