Asbestos?

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-13-12, 12:15 AM
A
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos?

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]Hey guys so I am a hypochondriac and don't know anything about construction. My girlfriend had a crack on her wall which is in an older building built in 1966. I was in the apartment with the crack for around a month there was even a little debris on the floor. At one point during cleaning a little white dust got on my nose and inhaled a tiny bit possibly. I am worried about asbestos. The picture below shows the crack which is on a normal wall in the interior of the house. I am freaking out thinking that the white stuff is asbestos and the brown stuff is the more dangerous brown asbestos. Please tell me what you think. Would there be brown asbestos there, and that much, or is that something else. Was I exposed to much I am really scared, haven't been able to sleep much. I even peeled a little of the brown stuff off.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Haha I didn't actually snort it. What happened was I rubbed a little of the white plaster on my finger to see what it was. There was like a tiny bit of white powder on my finger. I smelled it for a second, didn't actually snort it lol. I have just been going through a rough time and freaking out lately.

Even as far as my dad owns a coal over pizzeria that has been in operation since 1933. I assume the firebricks might have asbestos in them, in the oven. I used to work as a kid there and am now worried I was exposed, granted the bricks were fully intact and in the 80 year history nobody has gotten sick. Granted I think I will be the first since I worked a little by the oven as a kid. When I write it sounds crazy but for some reason just can't shake it.

Light fixture came out of my wall, don't know how old it is. This insulation was in it, now I'm freaking out that it is asbestos. I'm really scared what do you guys think.

Are you guys 100 percent positive because my light fixture has been sitting like that with that crap out in the open for a while now.

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF"]Light fixture came out of my wall, don't know how old it is. This insulation was in it, now I'm freaking out that it is asbestos. I'm really scared what do you guys think. Some of it felt out in small pieces on the floor is it safe for me to clean. If it is not asbestos can you tell me how you know.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
 
Attached Images    

Last edited by stickshift; 05-14-12 at 01:49 PM. Reason: duplication
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-13-12, 04:32 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,965
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Rest easy. This looks to be sheetrock, and the brown stuff looks like backer cardboard on the sheetrock from the sheetrock being put up backwards . Has the wall been layered over with thin (1/4") sheetrock?
You would have to ingest considerably more than a snort of asbestos for it to be detrimental to your health. Just how did you snort this dust.........curious.
 
  #3  
Old 05-13-12, 05:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,688
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Unless you were snorting the dust [assuming it was asbestos] I doubt you could inhale enough to have any concerns. I agree with Larry that's doubtful there is any asbestos. For what it's worth, back in the early 70's I sprayed asbestos ceiling texture several times a month for about 2 yrs and have no health issues from it even though at the end of the day I was covered in it.
 
  #4  
Old 05-13-12, 10:22 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,965
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Asbestos exposure is over hyped as mentioned in the electrical forum by ambulance chasers. Yes if you are exposed to airborne asbestos in a work place 10 hours a day for 20 years, you may have lung problems. The firebrick, even if they had asbestos in them, which they probably didn't, wouldn't pose a problem unless you crawled in the oven and scraped the bricks with a knife and snorted it every day for several years, which I am sure you didn't......right?
Asbestos exposure in today's market place is right there with whale poop in importance......right at the bottom. You worry too much about things that probably don't mean anything. Worry about saturated fat, drunk drivers, and ingrown toenails than asbestos, and you'll shake it.
 
  #5  
Old 05-14-12, 10:54 AM
T
Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,901
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The picture looks more like a water stain to me.
 
  #6  
Old 05-14-12, 02:57 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,965
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I don't know. Looks like sheetrock installed backwards and it has chipped out and the brown you see is the feather of the cardboard backing.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: