Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

paper "finish" on drywall

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-19-01, 09:37 PM   #1  
A leak in my roof made the paper"finish" on the sheetrock in the ceiling come loose. It has cracked and sagged down along with the popcorn texture. I peeled that acoustic texture back and it broke off along with the paper underneath it. Can I spray that acoustic texture(I've seen it in cans) over the torn area? Would it stay up there? Would I need to treat the paper and board underneath first? Any other suggestions? Yes, the roof is fixed now.
thanks

Sponsored Links

WA

01-20-01, 11:01 PM   #2  
If the leak let in enough water to pop the tape loose in a sheetrock joint, it probably ruined the sheetrock in that area and it certainly ruined the insulation in the attic above it. If you are just interested in fixing it, and don't care that it is going to look like a patch, remove some of the acoustic in the area, retape the joint, and touch-up the acoustic with one of the spray cans. If looks are a concern, you'll have to remove ALL of the acoustic in the room and either texture the ceiling, or have the acoustic resprayed. But by all means, replace the damaged insulation in the attic.

Search this Thread