Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Metal Corners on Sheetrock Walls Popping Out

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-22-01, 08:46 AM   #1  
My house is 12 years old and has some settling. On many walls in the house, the outside corners of these walls appear to have some type of metal overlapping (about 2") on the outside wall corners over the sheetrock. This is splitting away and causing a small hairline vertical crack up the height of the wall. We want to paint, but need to fix this first. Should we nail it down and spackle over it or use sheetrock tape? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

SD

01-22-01, 10:33 AM   #2  
This is not all that uncommon a problem. You will need to tape, and remud these cracks and then sand and paint. I am sure others will jump in on this and tell you have they would do it also. Good Luck. Not a bad job.

Visiting Guest

01-22-01, 03:11 PM   #3  
J974
Try screwing the edges of the cornerbead with 1 1/4 inch coarse thread drywall screws. Be carefull not to screw so deep that you deform the cornerbead, just barely sink your screws. Then as Jack said remud the cracks and sand smooth.You would have to beat that corner bead with a hammer to crack it again! I always screw my cornerbeads up to shoulder height for this reason.

Search this Thread