Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Water damage in ceiling from tub overflow

Old 09-18-12, 08:35 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Tub overflowed tonight. We caught it fairly quickly, got all the water up and the bathroom is completely dry, but enough water seeped through to create a small line/bubble in the ceiling downstairs, which has begun leaking water.

I put some small holes the ceiling to help it drain faster and turned on the AC/Fan. What else can I do to prevent as much damage as possible? Is there any hope of this just draining without leaving lasting damage, or am I going to need replace the sheetrock regardless? Any advice you can give me would be great, first timer with this kinda thing.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-18-12, 08:54 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is there any hope of this just draining without leaving lasting damage...?
Yes. Give it a few days to cure up.

Old 09-19-12, 02:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Got one question.....how did your tub overflow? There's not an overflow drain on it??

Old 09-19-12, 06:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,198 Upvotes on 1,153 Posts
If you allowed all of the water to drain off the surface of the sheetrock, it's just a matter of waiting for everything to dry out completely and then repair your drain holes.

As Chandler pointed out, though, it would be good to see if you can prevent this from happening again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: