Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Adding hollow molding that blends with plaster

Old 09-21-12, 01:43 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I'm tired of looking for raceway that I'm satisfied with for running two parallel coaxial cables so I want to add a hollow molding-like thing to the wall. There's already a vertical thing in the corner, shown in the photos, and I want to extend it horizontally as shown by the arrows. The materials I considered for this are plaster, steel studs, wire mesh, angle iron, and L-shaped wooden molding. The question is exactly which of these to use and how to attach it to the wall and ceiling.

To feed the cable through this thing, I'd have a hole on the inside of two closets and another hole near one of the turns under a plate that I'd attach to the thing.

I'm leaning towards gluing two flat pieces of wood together to create L-shaped molding, screwing it to the wall, using filler for the seams and screws, and painting it. If they made strips of sheetrock, I guess I'd use that. Any suggestions?

I know the next person to rent this apartment would have a hard time wall papering the hallway all the way to the ceiling, but I'm trying not to worry about that.

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-12, 01:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
Can't go on the ground behind the baseboards?

Old 09-21-12, 02:09 PM
B
I considered replacing the baseboards just for this hallway, but I couldn't find baseboards with a groove that coaxial cable would fit in. Maybe I could make one from two different kinds of molding, but it's a bit expensive and the turns would be too sharp for coaxial cable. I guess I could mount new baseboards off the ground and put the cable under them and chisel away part of the floor in the corners so the cable could make a wide enough turn and lay under the carpet in the corners, but I don't think that would be easier or cheaper and the baseboards wouldn't match the rest of the apartment. And I'm not confident there's enough space behind the wire mesh and plaster wall for fishing the cable.

I haven't even found chair railing with a big enough groove, but the bend would be sharp with that too.

Even the raceway found in home centers doesn't let you keep a good bend radius for coaxial cable. I might have used it anway, but they have adhesive backing, which sometimes doesn't stick well enough and is a mess to remove in the future.

Old 09-25-12, 03:42 PM
B
I discovered furring channels on my way to the studs. Now I'm considering this (and it won't turn any corners. Just two straight sections):

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-12, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 705 Upvotes on 598 Posts
IF you pull the base boards off you will find a gap between the floor and the sheetrock. If there is no gap, you can cut up to an inch of sheetrock for your cables. You should also be able to slip it behind any door caseing.

Old 09-25-12, 07:59 PM
B
The walls are plaster and cement so I'd probably have some chiseling to do under the baseboard, and replacing the cable in the future would be harder. It would have to pass a doorway and the door casing is steel, partially embedded in the plaster wall.

With my wall extension idea, there's room for pretty much any number coaxial cables (I'm planning on two for now, and there's a 50/50 chance I'll add CAT5), and I could hide splitters in it (I'm planning on 1). I think it would cost less than the new molding that I think I'd need if I tried removing the old molding, and it would be easier. But how much cracking there would be with my method remains unknown (I want it to blend in with the ceiling and wall and I plan on using an elastomeric spackle or something similar).

But I didn't buy the supplies yet, so I could still change my mind.

BTW, going AROUND the door casing is what my ISP did, but it looked pretty bad. Behind the carpet tack strip there's room for one coaxial cable only, and even if I just had one I'd have to make some adjustment to get it around the corners.

Last edited by Borad; 09-25-12 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-26-12, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 705 Upvotes on 598 Posts
Plaster changes everything. How about under the carpet? Otherwise the hat track should work.
Anything the ISP will do will look bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: