Covering Popcorn Ceiling

Old 10-04-12, 01:42 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Covering Popcorn Ceiling

My kitchen has drywalled popcorn ceiling that has been painted 2-3 times. I am not interested in removing it because it was done in the early 70's and we have enough cancer in our family to risk asbestos exposure. The house was originally built in the early 1920's. I am considering putting the Ceilume or Armstrong tiles to cover up the popcorn. Could I just put plaster lathe up on the ceiling and staple the tiles to that? Has anyone tried that?

Old 10-04-12, 01:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'd just skim coat it smooth with joint compound and prime and paint.

Old 10-04-12, 02:15 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I like the antique look of the Ceilume and Armstrong tiles. It would go well in the house as it still has all the original woodwork. I thought about just using joint compound to level the popcorn and gluing the tiles up but wasn’t real sure on how well the joint compound is going to stick to an already painted ceiling.

Old 10-04-12, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The compound will stick well to the painted surface, as long as the popcorn is stuck in place. If it is falling at all, I would remove it. You would need a smooth surface for the Ceilume panels, so skim coating is about your only option. I am assuming you plan on gluing these up. They make it for suspended ceilings too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: